24 January 2013

Ups and Downs

I lost again this week! CELEBRATE!

I'm down 1.6 pounds this weigh-in, which brings me to a total loss of 47.8 and a current weight of 256.2.

I'm still firmly in the 250s, and it feels great :)

I have a journal from my senior year of college--2004--lamenting, "I went to the doctor and weighed 256! This is the biggest I've ever been!" The rest following several pages contained angsty complaints about my body, desperate promises that I would turn my life around, and careful documentation of every morsel of food I put into my mouth. I started reading Dr. Phil and wrote about how much sense he made and how great I thought I was doing. Of course, I was also snorting Adderall and binge drinking every night, so whatever I ate probably wasn't going to do me much good anyway. The lists were things like "3 tortilla chips, 1 bag of Skittles, 1 bottle of Mad Dog, 1 baked potato, 1 large order of onion rings, 2 bottles of Boone's Farm, vodkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

So, well, I didn't get very far. I stopped writing in that journal. My weight continued to fluctuate. I graduated, couldn't afford food, and dropped down to 230 on a diet of rum and ramen. My Dr. Phil book is still in my bookshelf, beside a neat row of food journals, self-help books, hypnosis how-tos, and other worthless paper.

At the time, I know I NEVER thought I'd end up eating my way to over 300 pounds. I felt sexy, even if I was fat, and I thought I had at least enough self control to stop myself from ballooning up another 50 pounds.

But it happened.

Now I've just got to celebrate being this size again. My next milestone will be 50 pounds lost--and that's only 2.2 pounds away. Amazing. After that, I want to get under 250 pounds. Next, I'm looking forward to being 230 pounds again and remembering what it was like to still be comfortable in my body. 10 years later, though, I'm sure there will be a lot more sagging and grossness than there was in college. After that, I'll be approaching my high school weight. I remember working at Lane Bryant the summer after high school and religiously abiding by the Atkins diet--I got down to 215 pounds, size 14/16 jeans, and then went to college and began a new life of partying and killing myself from the inside. God, I hated Atkins. That was before I was a vegetarian (duh). I subsisted on Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from Wendy's, minus the buns, and sugar free Jell-O from MCL cafeteria. Gross.

It's so fucking awesome to have Weight Watchers in my life now. Looking back to all of the diets I tried in the past, I realize that I knew I wanted to lose weight but those diets weren't helping at all because I didn't know how to feed myself. Now I feel like I finally have the tools, I have the determination, and I've had a taste of success that's made me hungry for more.

Also, this article made me smile: http://www.thedailymeal.com/too-good-be-true-diet-trends-literally-and-what-you-should-try-instead-slideshow

Weight Watchers is one of the GOOD suggestions! I don't think I've ever been on the "good" diet side before! I'm used to the fad diets, the miracle methods that make lofty claims and let me down, books with chapter after chapter of anecdotes and advice but no real help. This is like confirmation that Weight Watchers works. Although I think 47.8 pounds might be confirmation enough for me.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well. I'd like to follow your blog, you should install the "followers" gadget so other bloggers can link to you.
    -FogDog Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I appreciate the suggestion--I'm new to this whole blogging thing, so please let me know if I managed to screw up the Followers gadget :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! That's so exciting that you are almost at your 50 pound loss! I find it funny to look back as see how upset I was at 180- now all I think about is how I wish to get back to that. Its all a matter of perspective. How long have you been a vegetarian? I only recently converted. Just about 3 weeks and already feel so much healthier. Hoping for a long future as a vegetarian.

    I do love weight watchers but struggled to lose weight on it. Only because I would guess points a lot and not measure. Plus I love to eat veggies and fruit so I would use up my points the wrong way. Started using my fitness pal and fell in love. Anyways, I'm sure I'll end up back to weight watchers once I learn to eat healthier overall. I just love the support they offer in the meetings. And having an official weigh in feels more final than my scale that I can hope on anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to get that 50 pound Weight Watchers token :)

      I've been a vegetarian for over a decade now (wow, I can't believe it's been that long--I gave up meat on New Year's Eve 2003 and haven't looked back). Following Weight Watchers as a vegetarian is SO EASY because fruit and (most) veggies are 0 points with the Points Plus plan! Seriously, it forces you to choose healthier options because.they're "free" so you can eat more :)

      I just track on my phone app, weigh everything on this little digital kitchen scale, and make sure I have 0 point snacks in my purse when I leave the house. It's been working for me so far--I definitely encourage you to try it again if the old plans didn't work for you!

      Delete